SQLEXPRESS 2008

May 16, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Hi

I installed sqlexpress2008 on xp home and then run an expressmaint backupscript on it and it works fine.

I then installed sqlexpress on another pc (xp pro) and the same backup script does not work when run on that pc. I am under the impression they are setup the same. It does not create any erros but does not see any of the databases. If I specify the db name to backup, then it creates an error saying it can't find the db.

I presume this is a setting in sqlexpress, can you help?

Thanks

Paul

Coordinator
May 16, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Does the following query return any results when run against the instance that is not being backed up?

select distinct d.name,case when d.database_id < 5 then 1 else 0 end as IsSystem,d.recovery_model
from sys.databases as d
join sys.master_files as f on d.database_id = f.database_id
where d.state_desc = N'ONLINE'
and d.source_database_id is null
and d.name not like f.physical_name

May 18, 2009 at 6:54 AM

Hi Jasper,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately I don’t have access to the installation. I’ll have to try to reproduce the issue on another PC to see what the below produces.

Is there anything else I could check other than the below? Do you think I am right in saying it is something to do with the DB installation?

By the way, thanks for making this program. It has made my life easier!

Regards

Paul

Coordinator
May 18, 2009 at 3:11 PM

That's the query used to enumerate the databases. If it doesn't return any databases (and it should always return at least 4 for the system databases) then that would explain why the tool is not backing anything up :-) The account you run the tool under must have sysadmin rights to the instance.

May 20, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Hi Jasper,

Yes you were correct. The account did not have sysadmin ticked. Thank you for your help.

Kind regards

Paul