SQLExpress Issues "can't find file"

Nov 20, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Hello!

First off thanks for for providing a utility like this... if  I can get this working correctly it is going save my bacon!

I believe that SQLExpress is what is installed though in control panel add/remove it only says Windows Internal Database ver  9.2.3068.00.

The error I get is:

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo, Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file
 specified.
File name: 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo, Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral, PublicK
eyToken=89845dcd8080cc91'
   at ExpressMaint.ExpressMaint.Main()

If I goto C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE  I see a very similar file called Microsoft.SQLServer.Express.Smo.dll.  The version of this file is 9.0.242.0.

Perhaps I missed some configuration steps needed to be able to run this utility?

Thank you for any help you can provide with this!

Patrick

Nov 20, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Apprently I just needed to google search a few more key words ;)

jaspersmith wrote Jun 4 2008 at 4:02 PM

The Windows Internal Databases does not seem to install SMO which is required by Expressmaint. You can download the standalone SMO redistributable from the following link
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=50b97994-8453-4998-8226-fa42ec403d17&displaylang=en

(Scroll down the page to Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Management Objects Collection - note that it has a couple of dependencies that also need to be downloaded - Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) 6.0 and Microsoft SQL Server Native Client, also available on this page)

This was my solution for this issue.

Thanks,

Patrick

Nov 20, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Is there a "cleaner" way to access the database... currently I am using:

expressmaint -S \\.\pipe\mssql$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query

Which is what I use when connecting with the SQL Managerment Studio Express.

Seems like there should be a shorter entry to access tha database.

Thanks,

Patrick

Coordinator
Nov 21, 2009 at 10:11 AM

You should be able to use

-S (local)\MICROSOFT##SSEE

I believe the WID is limited to named pipes but you should still be able to use the (local) alias I would have thought

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:58 PM
Edited Mar 15, 2010 at 9:45 PM
shazar76 wrote:

Apprently I just needed to google search a few more key words ;)

jaspersmith wrote Jun 4 2008 at 4:02 PM

The Windows Internal Databases does not seem to install SMO which is required by Expressmaint. You can download the standalone SMO redistributable from the following link
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=50b97994-8453-4998-8226-fa42ec403d17&displaylang=en

(Scroll down the page to Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Management Objects Collection - note that it has a couple of dependencies that also need to be downloaded - Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) 6.0 and Microsoft SQL Server Native Client, also available on this page)

This was my solution for this issue.

Thanks,

Patrick

But is it safe to install

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Management Objects Collection,

Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) 6.0,

Microsoft SQL Server Native Client,

on a system that's running with MSDE 2005? The above look like addon tools for SQL 2005.

Update: Well it turns out that one server that I'm working with is actually using MSDE SP4. Can the ExpressMaint work with MSDE SP4? 

Thank you.

--Glen

Coordinator
Mar 16, 2010 at 5:10 PM

For MSDE no, the tool is for SQL 2005 or higher. MSDE came with the sqlmaint utility which this utility replaces (as there is no equivalent in 2005+) however I'm not sure if sqlmaint is installed with the Windows Internal Database. You can check for a file called sqlmaint.exe and if it's there then you can use that. Help documentation for it is available here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa214022(SQL.80).aspx