This project is read-only.

Help with ExpressMaint 2005 ?

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:16 PM

I'm having trouble getting the ExpressMaint utility for SQL 2005 to work. When I run it with the parameters given in the first example (to do an ALL_USER backup), I get this error message:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Failed to connect to server (local).
A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Expressmaint finished unsuccessfully at 9/7/2009 3:05:47 PM with Return Code(-3)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The environment is Windows XPPro with all service packs and updates.

I have verified that "Named Pipes" is enabled. I have tried various combinations of changing settings, stopping and starting SQLServer, re-booting the computer. I get this same error every time. This is a small, little-used installation with no known "issues".

Any thoughts as to what the problem might be?

FWIW, I am using the ExpressMaint utility for 2008 on another installation  (SQLExpress 2008 on a Windows Vista box) with no problems at all.


Sep 8, 2009 at 4:12 PM
Edited Sep 8, 2009 at 4:13 PM

By default, SQL Express installs as a named instance called SQLExpress so have you tried using (local)\SQLExpress as the server parameter? One of the easiest ways to check what your instance is called is to open the Services applet (Start>Run>service.msc) and scroll down to the SQL Server services. The instance name is in brackets i.e a service name of SQL Server (SQL2005) equates to a named instance called SQL2005 i.e. (local)\SQL2005

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Execellent - that worked - thank you. I had tried (SQLEXPRESS) but not (local)\SQLEXPRESS.

Now, FWIW, I just now went back and ran it again on the SQLEXPRESS_2008 (on Windows Vista) setup that I mentioned in my original message. That installation is also named "SQLEXPRESS" but specifying only "(local)" in the command line works just fine - the backups are created with no errors.

In any case, this gets me going - thanks again.

(now I gotta get it set up as a scheduled task)